Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Roaches

I have never met anyone who likes cockroaches.
Not only do I NOT like them but they absolutely freak me out!

Whanna know what’s even freakier?

Do you?

Huh?

Do you?

C’mon... answer me...

OK

I’ll just tell you.

We’ve all been to calls where there are cockroaches crawling all over a medical scene.

Going to a scene where you’re trying to gather history from a patient and there are hundreds of little crawlers on the floors and walls...and...on the garbage strewn about...and even on patient’s themselves.

Kind of distracting.

I’ve worked codes where everyone is trying to stand strategically so that passengers don’t hitch rides up your pant legs.

We have a guy in town that lives in one of the most roach infested domiciles that I’ve ever seen. This guy is always in his birthday suit ever time we arrive too which leads us to affectionately dub him “Naked Guy”.

We respond to “Naked Guy” at least once a week with a blood glucose level that plummets into the 20’s or teen’s.

His apartment neighbors have become attuned to the sound of him moaning and thrashing about when he’s in this state.

Each time his neighbors save his life by calling.

We all know this guy and know to take the bare minimum up to the apartment so that we don’t inadvertently carry out stowaways.

It’s just unnerving to try to start an IV and have crawlers skitter across the arm you’re trying to canulate.

I hate roaches.

No comments: