Thursday, November 04, 2004

OFDS 42

Ok,
It's been a while since I last made an entry. I have been burried in Respiratory Pharmacology. Need to be ready to do a Rapid Sequence Intubation, you know.

Yesterday I was at Omaha Fire Department Station 42. 07:00 to 22:00.
Long day and only 4 runs, two of which the patient signed AMA so we didn't go to the hospital with them.
It's been almost two years since I'd been on a Rescue and I was rather rusty. Some assessment things I missed, but when there are 4 people in a squad and an Engine responds too, you have 12 firemen at the scene asking questions. It's hard to remember where to proceede from there, you know. I'm not thinking I'm going to have a very good review. -sigh-
I have to deliver it to my advisor in a sealed envelope. Makes me nervous.
I got a lot of studying done during all the down time, though.
A ton of election talk in the fire house.
They had the television on in the kitchen/dining room, where I was relegated when we were'nt responding.
We are supposed to avoid speaking politics while at the station, but it was hard being the morning after the election. I tried my best to have as innocuous responses as possible.
Traditionally, Fire Fighters are very Democrat. The Unions always support the Democrating candidate, but most of the house were VERY vocal Republicans.

If you have never been to a Fire House, don't go if you are easily offended.
Reminded me very much of Fraternity life. Very crass and strange sense of humors fire fighters have.

Friday I'm at station 40, but only from 16:00 to 22:00.
I know one of the captains there(Paramedic Instructor at Creighton), he's on an engine, but I'm sure he'll ride my brown butt any chance he gets.
Love the guy. Gruff, brash and loud, but he knows his stuff. I'm actually looking forward to getting harrassed by him.

December my wife is basically going to be a single mom. I am in the Hospital ER or with OFD every day I'm not in class.

Well, sounds like the kids are killing each other upstairs, so I'd better go get them out of "Room Time"

Until next time.

No comments: